Review on YMTiny – Free J2ME Yahoo Messenger
Hard to find FREE instant messenger that can support Yahoo Messenger for your mobile devices? Don’t want to pay for commercial product? Now yo have a perfect solution, YMTiny.
YMTiny is a free J2ME Yahoo Messenger. Directly connects to the Yahoo’s server.
Just connect with your Yahoo! ID, no other registration needed.
It should works on all CLDC 1.0 and MIDP 2.0 devices.
- Settable message alerts: sound (midi), vibrate, flash backlight, open IM window
- Bitmap fonts for consistent interface
- “Smart Ping” maintains connection and minimizes bandwidth usage
- Receives offline messages, new mail and typing notifications
- Set status and custom status
- View a friend’s status, show and hide offline friends
- Send and receive BUZZ!!!
- Run in background and auto-restore
- Window and scroll animations
- Stylus support
- 54+2 Emoticons!
- Data counter
- Does not support HTTP/WAP connection yet
- Minimize function only works on some devices
- Stylus support is not tested yet
- Bitmap fonts could be invisible on some devices. Requires devices that support transparancy drawing.
- Emoticons only works on bitmap fonts
- Data counter may be inaccurated
- Sends typing notifications (settable)
- More sounds
- Message archive
I have tested YMTiny on 4 devices (Sony Ericsson k750i, HTC P3600i, Nokia 6600 and Nokia 7390) and surprisingly YMTiny work perfectly on those device. But at the same time, YMTiny won’t work on Nokia 6230.
From my opinion, YMTiny v1.1 is even better than IM+ All-in-One Mobile Messenger v4.22 (comparisons has been made on Yahoo! Messenger features only) based on their user friendly features and graphical user interface.
4 stars from xanda.org for YMTiny!
Hopefully one day, the source code for this application will be revealed to public as open source