Erasing the Content of Flash ROM
Hi all especially HTC users.
This HOWTO gonna cover steps that are needed to erase the content of flash ROM for HTC device to prevent the automagic hard reset when a cooked ROM crashed.
I believe that you are now running a cooked ROM on your device (Huh? Still running on the original ROM? Come on.. Dont be such a lame goat) and for those who already flash their device for several times (with several different ROMs), you might have the auto hard reset problem that gonna occur almost every day. Besides data loss, it will also cause you headache and hair loss 😛
There are several reasons that gonna lead to this problem (please leave comment if you found that I’m wrong) and they are:
- Installed a corrupted ROM
- Flash the radio ROM after the OS ROM
- Install the Hard-SPL without flashing the radio and OS ROM (after that)
- Memory Bad Blocks
If you think that reason no 1,2 and 3 is not related to you, the only way to solve your problem is by wiping/erasing the content of the entire ROM before you flash it back into the new ROM (which caused by reason no 4).
Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- MAKE SURE YOU ALREADY HAVE HARD-SPL INSTALLED (not sure? DONT proceed)
- BACKUP ALL OF YOUR DATA
- Turn on your device into bootloader menu (if you dont know how to do it, please refer device manual)
- Connect the USB cable from your device to your computer
- Enter the bootloader cmd prompt
- For Windows user : Make sure you have disabled the USB connection in ActiveSync, before trying to connect to the bootloader: File –> Connection settings –> uncheck “allow USB connections” then, download and run the mtty program
- For Linux user: Download the htc-flasher, run it, and choose Bootloader Cmd Prompt
- Type the following command (for advance user: dont set any value for StartAddr and Len in erase, just use default value)
- Reset/restart your device by poking into the reset hole or you can issue the following command
- Now you can flash your GSM/Radio ROM
- And finally you can flash your cooked ROM as usual/normal
- If you device is still stuck in tri-colour / boot loader mode, perform the following command
set 16 0